Saturday, May 4, 2013

Rustic Retreat



This is another photo that I took on my walk home in the sunshine a few days ago. Having previously photographed the buds that looked like flowers, I then noticed that at the bottom of another tree, some leaves had been caught between the branches. I liked the way that the stem of the leaves had been caught between the broken twigs, giving the overall image the effect of “being left behind.”

I tried to under expose the image, as I wanted to emphasise the shadows of the cracks in the branch and the dark specks on the leaves. I didn’t use flash to do this, as I wanted the background to be visible. I was disappointed with the effects of under exposing alone, so decided to edit the image in Photoshop. I decreased the brightness and increased the contrast to make the shadows more striking. I decreased the saturation slightly, as I wanted the photo to look washed out. Finally, I sharpened the image to pick out finer details.

I love stumbling across new things to photograph. I’ve been photographing for so long, I subconsciously look for photographic opportunities everywhere I go. Is that a good thing?

Bex
x

No comments:

Post a Comment