Monday, June 10, 2013

A Hands-on Approach


Throughout the second day of the festival, the local zoo brought all manner of creepy and crawly to show the crowds.

I was talking to one of the organisers of the zoo, and she showed me a few different creatures- needless to say I avoided the spiders!! One of the things she showed me was this mantis. She was very obliging, and even took it out of the box for me to take a photo. The insect itself was a stunning yellow colour, a similar shade to that of a pineapple. However, this didn’t come across well in the photograph, as the lighting was wrong and the camera struggled.

When editing, I was trying to find an amount of saturation that complimented both the skin tone, and the colour of the mantis. I tried reducing the saturation, but decided I liked the photo almost completely de-saturated. I say almost, because I like to have some colour left, which gives the grey tones a tint. Having done this, I increased the contrast and decreased the brightness to remove any remaining details in the background (having used flash). I have also sharpened the image, more as a habit.

This is one of the images I am most pleased with from festival weekend, as it was a nice break from a more journalistic style of photography, as well as a nice break from the sun!!

Bex
x

No comments:

Post a Comment