Monday, June 17, 2013

Missing Inspiration


The problem with trying to take photos when you are lacking inspiration is that you end up forcing it, meaning you are much less likely of getting a “wow” photo, and most will be mediocre at best. I was having a day of no inspiration today, but desperately needed new photos.

I took about 80 photos, but most were duplicates and very few useable. When looking through them, I found a photo of this plant; it was quite over exposed, which I tried to repair in Photoshop.

I used the exposure tool to darken the highlights. I then reduced the brightness of the overall image, then increased the contrast. I tried to increase the saturation, but it didn’t look right. I changed the hue, trying to make it more natural, but gave up and started to mess around, making the image look strange. I increased the hue almost completely, but decided that it made the image look a lot more interesting!!!

Editing the photo like this reminded me of the effect given by a photogram (when you place objects on photographic paper and expose to get the outline, and sometimes the texture, of the object). I like the small amount of foreground that can be seen at the top. Photoshop is an amazing tool; perhaps designed to enhance photos, but it has the potential to make an ordinary photo interesting.

Bex
x

No comments:

Post a Comment