Friday, June 21, 2013

Importance


Today’s image will not please those who visit our blog for artistic merits or photographic tips, but it is a place that I hold dear. This is a photo of the local nature reserve- the site of at least 90% of the images on this blog. In a way, I am uploading this to prove a point.

I am incredibly lucky to live in such close proximity to this, but you don’t have to live somewhere busy, interesting or unusual to undertake photography. I live in a small town on the outskirts of a city. Apart from this nature reserve, there is a lake and a small shopping centre of no more than 15 shops. The most important skill in photography is being able to look around you and see the potential for different photographs; you don’t have to go to somewhere new every time as nothing stands still.

I was recently given a column in our local newspaper, in which I talk about a photo and it’s background; much like on this blog. Through this, I met a young woman who loves photography but didn’t know how to take it further as we have such a small town. The only advice you can give someone is to make the most of it; seize every opportunity, appear at all the events you can possibly manage, and never go anywhere without your camera!!

I could continue to tell you how I have manipulated this image, but the technical and artistic decisions do not belong it today’s post, and I apologise to those who may be disappointed. Hopefully, it will encourage more people to keep at it.

Bex

No comments:

Post a Comment