Sunday, September 2, 2012

Steam Traction




Last weekend while I was away, I went to the Earls Barton country fayre. While I was there I had decided to take my new camera out (Pentax P-30), I also decided to try out a new type of film: Kodak 200 colour plus.

While walking around there was a display of steam traction engines. I am very interested in vintage haulage and farming machinery, so I’m always the first around the traction engines, tractors and classic lorries. I’m amazed that I used just one film cartridge!

This traction engine was the first that I saw and I just thought it looked amazing! The bright red paint finish was very striking and eye-catching. When I saw the light on the front I could see an interesting photo opportunity forming. So I crouched down and used a large aperture to limit the depth of field. The P-30 has a depth of field preview so I could test to see if I could get the desired effect. I liked the effect I could see in the viewfinder, so I took the photo. When I got the film developed I could see the depth of field was spot on. I really like the effect of having just the light in sharp focus; it creates a really interesting composition.

I didn’t edit the photo because I like showing what film SLR’s are still capable of; I will always think they are as capable as brand new DSLRs like Bex’s Olympus. I took plenty of photos at the fayre and hopefully I shall be able to upload a few more. The new type of film works very well with quite a fine grain but I think Fujifilm just beats it (But with a small increase in price).

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment