Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Boating




This photo was taken on the Christmas market that Bex and I visited last week. The Christmas market was situated just beside small quay where there was some canal boats moored to the side. I liked the composition that they had made.

To take this photo I put the camera into aperture priority and selected an aperture of F16, this ensured that everything from the foreground to the background was in sharp focus. The camera chose a shutter speed of 1/13th of a second; I was using image stabilisation at the time so I could take the photo hand held. I didn’t use flash because the background was too far away from the camera so the foreground highlights would have overexposed.

To edit the image I increased the sharpness and cropped the photo down to concentrate the focus onto the two canal boats. Also I wanted to crop out some distractions on the right side of the frame. By increasing the sharpness the photo looks more detailed and has become more striking than before. I didn’t change the exposure because I was happy with how the camera had calculated the exposure.

The weather has been very bad recently so our trip out has been postponed until this weekend. Hopefully if the weather does clear we shall get a chance to take some more photos outdoors. If not I shall look through my computer because I have some other photos lined up that I can upload.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment