Friday, November 9, 2012

Violent Sky




I managed to go out for a walk today, so I went to my favourite spot in the nature reserve. A lot has been happening recently and I needed some time to relax. It was quite late so the sun was just starting to dip below the tree line. I really liked the effect I had created and I wanted to try and capture it.

To capture the whole scene in sharp focus I decided to use an aperture of F8, as I was quite a distance from the trees the depth of field would be large enough to keep the whole scene in focus. To get the lighting effect that I wanted I decided to metre off the sky, then underexpose by 1/3rd of a stop. This puts the trees into shadow and turns them into a silhouette; this was the effect that I had seen while sitting around and I was aiming to capture. I framed the photo so to fill half the frame with sky and half with the foreground; this gives a very pleasing composition.

To edit the photo the only thing that I decided to change was the exposure, I increased the contrast and the brightness of the highlights. By increasing both I made the photo look much more dramatic. Also it made the trees go very dark which made the effect even better I think.

I’m so glad that I managed to go for a walk today; it really made a huge difference. It just proves, photography can sort any problem, no matter how big or how major.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment