Monday, December 17, 2012

Baking




As promised I tried out my new flash gun and it is fantastic! It really helps to capture photo indoors and can be used to create some interesting light effects. Bex decided to do some Christmas baking at the weekend and I thought as well as helping her it would be a good chance to try out my new flash gun.

So when I wasn’t helping Bex with the baking or sneakily eating the ingredients I did manage to take a few photos. This one I took just after we had taken the first batch of cupcakes out of the oven to cool down. I thought if I could get close to them and use a wide aperture the distortion created could create an interesting effect. Also by using the flash gun to bounce the light of the ceiling I could illuminate all the cupcakes evenly. I used an aperture of F8 to ensure that the central cupcakes were in focus but the others weren’t. The camera coupled this with a shutter speed of 1/10th of a second; as I was using a lens with image stabilization built in this shutter speed was adequate.

To edit the photo I adjusted the histogram a bit to increase the shadow areas and also to sharpen the photo a small amount. I didn’t change anything else because I like the effect that I had created, also the camera had exposed the photo as I wanted.

The baking went very well, and everything that Bex made tasted amazing! It’s a good thing that she made a lot because I don’t think they won’t last very long.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment