Thursday, December 20, 2012

Fiery Reflections




While at the harbour light show the organisers had set up a number of small fires to keep everyone warm. It had been raining before the event and there still some puddles that had been left behind, all these puddles created some very interesting reflection effects. One of the puddles was right next to one of the fires, and behind the fire was a crane that was illuminated by a green lamp, the reflection created looked very interesting and created a very different composition to normal.

To capture the composition I used the camera in portrait format to capture the whole scene. I focused on the reflections of the fire to ensure it was in focus. I used a small aperture of F8 to ensure that as much of the scene was in focus. As it was late at night there was very little light around so I used the cameras highest ISO of 12800 to enable the use of a faster shutter speed.

To edit the photo the main thing I did was to sharpen the photo. I did this because by using the highest ISO a lot of the sharpness had been lost, after this I reduced the noise because the high ISO had introduced a lot of noise. I boosted the contrast and the brightness a small amount because I thought the photo looked a bit ‘flat’. I didn’t alter the composition because I like how I had captured the photo.

As promised I still have a few more photos that are upload-able. So I will be showing you a few more over the next few days. If the weather holds out Bex and I are planning on going out for a wander. I haven’t used my Pentax for a while so I might use that as I’m getting film withdrawal symptoms!

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment