Sunday, December 9, 2012

Funnels




Earlier today I went for a walk down to the canal, I haven’t been for quite a while so I thought I should go see what the canal looks like in the winter. The weather was more like the summer than a winter wonderland, but I still took some interesting photos.

I walked for much longer than I normally would and I arrived at a small mariner with plenty of moorings for the boats and a few workshops alongside the canal. As there where quite a few boats moored up I thought they would make an interesting composition. I just wanted to focus on the air inlet and the exhaust funnel on one of the canal boats. To do this I used my telephoto zoom lens at around 130mm and with an aperture of F4.5; this ensured that the depth of field was very small. The camera selected a shutter speed of 1/180th of a second; this is fast enough for the focal length in use and removed the camera shake.

To edit the photo I increased the contrast and lowered the brightness a bit. I did this because the camera had slightly overexposed the photo. I also sharpened the photo because some of the details weren’t as sharp as I would have liked them to be. I didn’t crop the photo because I really like the composition that I had created.

I took quite a few photos at the canal today; this had to be my favourite one. If I find another one that I like then I shall upload it for you; otherwise I shall go out on a wander for some inspiration.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment