Friday, December 21, 2012

Stowaway



I took this picture this evening in a mad “must grab a camera” moment. I was sat in my room doing some work, and being my usual easily distracted self, I was looking around my room to kill time. I spotted something rather odd above my bedroom door as I was doing so, and decided to see what it was.

In general, I hate bugs- but I found this interesting in a weird way, as I haven’t actually seen a cricket before. I didn’t want it to jump, and I was not picking it up- but I did want a picture! I didn’t as such compose my photo; I merely pointed it in the general direction and hoped for the best, as my camera doesn’t have live view.

I liked how it was on an angle, but the bottom left of the image was in shadow. I used the dodge tool in Photoshop to make this lighter so it fitted in to the rest of the image. I also increased the saturation to make the bug stand out, and sharpened it to accentuate the patterns on its wings.

I love how this photo turned out, considering it was a snapshot. I’m pleased I managed to blend the shadows in as it creates a textured background instead of knowing for definite what it is. I think taking the photo on an angle makes a huge difference, and makes the photo more original.

Bex
x

No comments:

Post a Comment