Monday, December 3, 2012

Moored Up




Again I am uploading a photo from our recent trip to the Gloucester Christmas market. This one was taken just outside of the market in the quay. I thought the two tie down posts made an interesting composition with the rope tied around them.

To capture the photo I had to use a telephoto lens, this also helped to create a short depth of field. I selected ISO 1600 and chose an aperture of F5, by using this aperture the depth of field was small enough to gently blur the background. The camera selected a shutter speed of 1/200th ; as I was using a focal length of 100mm this was fast enough to freeze any camera shake.

To edit the photo I increased the contrast, and I also lowered the highlights to make the whites look more pure. By increasing the contrast the difference between the white and the black becomes a lot more pronounced. This was the effect that I was trying to create. I didn’t change the saturation or the colour temperature because the colours had been replicated truthfully.

Bex and I have planned to go for a wander this weekend if the weather stays dry. Otherwise we may do some set-up photos indoors; with the benefit of central-heating!

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment