Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Boating




I took this photo on my walk down the canal; at the mariner was a group of small sailing boats. The boats are owned by the local sea cadet unit and where moored up for storage. They made an interesting composition so I thought I would take a photo of them.

To create the best composition I stayed on the opposite side and used a long telephoto lens to narrow the field of view down. I wanted quite a large depth of field so I used an aperture of F8, this was coupled with a shutter speed of 1/80th. As I was using a focal length of 88mm the shutter speed was a bit slow but the photo looked sharp when I zoomed in to check the sharpness. I didn’t use flash because I didn’t want the highlights to become blown.

When editing the photo I didn’t change anything because I really liked how the photo had come out. I like the composition that I had created and the exposure had been calculated perfectly by the camera. The photo looked sharp under inspection so I decided not to sharpen it.

Bex and I are planning to get up extra early tomorrow to take some photos in the early morning mist, maybe even catch some of the sunrise! So we should both have some very interesting photos to show you tomorrow.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment