Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Frosty Branches




As planned Bex and I got up extra early to go out for a pre-dawn wander. We were hoping to take some photos of the sunrise. Unfortunately the weather was against us and the sky was full of dark clouds, so unfortunately we missed the sunrise. But we did take some other very interesting photos around the duckpond. I found a bush that had lost all of its leaves but was covered in frost; I really like the effect that it made and decided to take a photo.

To make the most interesting composition I used a narrow aperture of F5.6, this limits the depth of field to just the bush that I had focused onto. I was using the camera on my tripod so the shutter speed selected didn’t make a difference on the overall sharpness. Because of this I selected ISO 100 and the camera paired this with a shutter speed of one second. I didn’t use flash because I didn’t want to spoil the effect of the frost on the branches.

To edit the photo I cropped the photo down to a square format. But I kept the bush towards the right hand side of the frame to keep the composition interesting. Also I tweaked the RGB (Red Green Blue) curves because I wasn’t satisfied with how the colours had been replicated. I decreased the amount of blue to make the frost look whiter. I also decreased the red to remove the colour cast created by the gravel path. I didn’t need to sharpen the photo because I had taken the photo on ISO 100 so no noise was created.

The weather this morning was quite disappointing but it didn’t deter us from our photography at all. It just proves that whatever the weather there are great photos to be taken all year round!

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment