Sunday, February 10, 2013

Conversion




I was thinking earlier today that I hadn’t done a black and white photo for quite a while, so I decided that the upload I did today would be a black and white photo. I used a photo that I took quite a while ago; I knew it had good potential but I wasn’t sure how I could give the photo more punch.

I chose to convert this photo to black and white because the main interest was in the foreground and by converting to black and white would make it stand out more. Also by converting to black and white I could increase the amount of red which would create a lot more contrast between the clouds and the sky. I really like the effect of converting to black and white because it makes any photo look very different and some details that would normally be missed are made very clear.

To capture the actual exposure I used the camera in aperture priority with an aperture of F7.1 and I focused on the bush in the foreground to make sure that it would in sharp focus. The camera selected a shutter speed of 1/125th of a second to complete the exposure. I had preselected ISO 100 to ensure the image would have very little noise.

I really think converting this photo to black and white has made a huge improvement. With many photos, but not every, converting them to black and white makes an improvement. So by experimenting with black and white some interesting photos can be made, and details that haven’t been seen will reveal themselves to you.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment