Saturday, February 2, 2013

Reflecting Twilight



On our walk through town earlier this week we decided to take a walk alongside the harbour. Moored up on one side of the harbour was a boat that had been turned into a restaurant. Opposite the boat was jetty that extended out into the harbour.

To compose the photo I walked along to the end and set my camera up on its tripod. This would ensure that the photo remained sharp across the frame. I then put the camera into aperture priority and selected aperture F18 at ISO100, this gave a shutter speed of 1/30th of a second. There was a lot of sun around so I decided against using a flash gun as I thought it would spoil the effect of the water.

While editing the photo I thought I would try something different, in the exposure editing section there is an option called: linear. I haven’t found many uses for it so far but I really think it makes the photo look as if was taken during the evening and it creates quite a spooky atmosphere. I didn’t crop the photo because I like how I had framed the photo with the boat and water disappearing off towards the cranes in the right hand corner.

I’m glad I tried experimenting with the editing software or I wouldn’t have created this interesting effect. I’m not sure how useful it will be in the future but I will try out I’m sure.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment