Sunday, February 3, 2013

High Flyers




On the walk around our local duckpond, as I previously mentioned there was a lot of birds flying around. As they passed overhead in large groups they made some interesting compositions.

As I had the telephoto lens on this helped to crop into the group of birds. I was using shutter priority with a shutter speed of 1/500th second; this was fast enough to freeze the birds as they flew past. I didn’t use the built in flash because it wouldn’t have been powerfull enough to reach the birds. The camera selected an aperture of F 5 at ISO 100 to give the correct exposure.

To edit the photo I increased the contrast, lowered the highlight and increased the shadows. I did this to brighten up the undersides of the birds. By increasing the contrast this introduces some extra punch into the photo. I also adjusted the white balance, because this makes the sky look much bluer and makes the photo more dynamic.

I’m very happy with the editing I did to this photo, the photo looks a lot better than when I started. For most of my editing I use the edit software that came with my camera. It works very well and creates very pleasing results.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment