Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Resting




I know I’ve done a lot of wildlife posts recently but I couldn’t decide which photos to upload, so I decided to upload all of them. In the centre of the duckpond is a small island; a lot of the birds decide to build their nests on this island. While I was at the duckpond, two of the mallard ducks were resting just outside their nest on the island. I thought that how they were standing made an interesting composition.

To capture this photo I decided to use the camera in aperture priority so I had the choice over the depth of field. I selected an aperture of F8 because it gave me the depth of field that I wanted. To enable the use of a fast enough shutter speed I had to boost the ISO to ISO800. This meant that some loss of image quality would happen; as I was shooting in RAW I could recover this detail in the editing stage. I had the camera in continuous drive mode to capture a series of photos; when looking back I decided this was the best one.

To edit the photo the first thing I did was to reduce the noise and sharpen the image. Then I cropped the photo slightly as I wanted a slightly different composition to how I had taken the photo. I also increased the brightness because I felt the photo was a little bit dull. I didn’t change anything else, as I was happy with the overall effect of the photo.

I think I have about used up all the photos I took at the duckpond, hopefully this weekend Bex and I might get a chance to go out for a photography wander.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment