Friday, March 8, 2013

Small Growth




This photo was also taken on our recent wander into the nature reserve. Further along the path was a tree which had some saplings shooting off; on some of them small pieces of green were hanging off. I spotted two of these pieces of green which I thought could make an unusual composition.

I used a wide aperture to shorten the depth of field and I focused on the left piece. I did this to throw the right piece out of focus. I used the flash in this photo so I could create a high contrast between the background and the subjects. I had the camera in manual mode with a shutter speed of 1/50th of a second and aperture of F5.6. I chose this combination to keep the depth of field very small and to ensure the background was dark in comparison to the subjects.

To edit the photo I boosted the contrast and lowered the shadows. I did this to make the photo look more dynamic with the very high contrast between subject and background. I didn’t change anything else as I was happy with the effects I had created.

Overall I’m very happy with this photo; I captured the effect that I was aiming for. I really like the effects that can be created with flash. I will defiantly be trying more varied effects in the future.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment