Sunday, March 10, 2013

Magical




This is another photo from my latest wander with Mat, through the local nature reserve. Mat takes time to set things up carefully, while I tend to have a guess, go for it then review the image on the camera screen and adjust the appropriate settings from there. Due to this, I normally end up leaving him behind.

As I mentioned in Friday’s post, I found a small clearing between two rows of trees; this is where today’s upload is set. While taking other photos, I struggled to see as a single beam of sun cascaded light into the clearing. At first, it proved to be a hindrance, forcing me to use flash, but after a while I decided to try to incorporate it.

I had to take a few shots to get the image right, as I wanted to make the image seem mystical, but didn’t want the shadows or highlights to clip. I used low-key gradation to make the image more dramatic. I used F11 as I wanted the entire photo to be in focus, but needed the extra light so couldn’t use anything smaller. I had to use a shutter speed of 1/50 at ISO 320 to let in enough light. I increased the contrast, hue and saturation in Photoshop. I also decreased the highlights and sharpened the image slightly. I love this photo; I feel it’s like the sequel to “Start Off Small” (2nd April 2012), as it’s a similar style, taken in a similar location. Winter sun is great for shots like this, as it’s always quite low, making it easy to capture something dramatic.

Bex
x

No comments:

Post a Comment