Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ripples



Mat and I took his dog for a walk today; I had my camera with me as ever. We walked down through the local nature reserve towards the lake. As we were walking, I spotted this bird on the edge of the water. It kept putting its beak in the water to drink, and while watching I noticed that as it’s beak emerged, droplets fell and created ripples on the surface.

The ripples caught my attention so I decided to try and capture it before Mat’s dog chased it away! I had my telephoto lens on, which saved me time, as I didn’t have to change lenses. I used a fast shutter speed to try and capture the ripples without them being blurred.

I was really impressed with this picture, as I accidentally caught a droplet just as it fell into the water. I also like how if you look carefully, the reflection of the bird can be seen, slightly distorted by the waves. Later, I sharpened the image and increased the contrast to make some of the smaller ripples more visible. I regret not using a smaller aperture as the bird is slightly out of focus, but at the same time I think it points the attention to the water.

I love this picture; I was really impressed by managing to capture the detail of the water. I have a busy few days coming up, so Mat will be doing most of the posts. I’ll be back in a few days- hopefully with plenty of photos in tow!

Bex
x

No comments:

Post a Comment