Saturday, October 27, 2012

Bridging Leaves




This photo was taken during the wander Bex and I went on a few days go. Bex was taking photos of this leaf when I had an idea. I thought by using an off camera flash gun would make an interesting lighting effect.

So as Bex was taking the photo I held the flashgun for her. She used an aperture of F5.6 and a shutter speed of 1/6th of a second. By using a slow shutter speed the camera is able to sync with the flash gun. Using the flash off the camera created an interesting effect by lighting the underside of the leaf. It illuminates the leaf from a different angle creating a very different effect to normal lighting. We both really liked the effect of  using the off camera flash.

When editing the photo Bex and I had decided to only change the framing and the contrast. By cropping the photo so the leaf was in the bottom left corner of the frame, we both thought this really helped the composition of the photo. We also decided to increase the contrast, this makes the lighting effect ,much more dramatic.

We both really liked the effect of using the off camera flash, I’m definitely going to use it in some of my own photography.

Bex also says hello from her holiday, she had a great time today. And she is missing you all and can’t wait to get back with all her new photographic material.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment