Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Looking



I had chance for a short wander today, but I was being a bit of a perfectionist and didn’t think any of my pictures had the “wow factor” that I try to capture normally. As I was editing my pictures in Photoshop to see how I could improve them, I saw this picture flash up on my desktop. To start with, I didn’t think it was much but it had a little potential so I decided to mess around with it.

I love churches for their amazing architecture and towering spires; there’s something quite mysterious about them when in the right conditions. I took this photo on the roof on my local church. When I first walked out of the door, I saw the stunning view and focused on that. If you’re anything like me, curiosity will always get the better of you and this case it did. I began to look at the structures closest to me, instead of the view from it.

At each corner, the structures were hollow with arches all the way around. Pandering to my curiosity, I ducked under the archway to see what it looked like from the inside. I took this picture led down on the church roof with my camera; I looked a little odd but it was worth it. I like to add a sense of mystery to certain pictures and this was one of those; I de-saturated the picture slightly and increased the contrast, creating this more striking image, which emphasises the shadows cast by each gap in the stone.

I think if there are any rules in photography, this should be one of them; ALWAYS make the most of your surroundings. Explore everything from every angle and challenge yourself to capture things in a more abstract way. If people don’t look at you thinking “what on earth…?” while you’re taking the picture, then you’re not being creative enough!!!

Bex
x

No comments:

Post a Comment