Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Vintage Return




As promised Bex and I went on a photography wander today. We didn’t go very far but we found many interesting compositions. This photo I spotted about half way through the walk, we had walked out of town and into the countryside and where about to turn round to return back.

I saw this tree half way along a hedge between two fields. I haven’t taken any photos in black and white for a long time so I thought that I should take the photo in black and white with a sepia digital filter. As I was a long distance from the subject the aperture that I chose would make very little difference to the depth of field so I left the camera in Program Auto. I did preset the ISO to 100 to ensure that there was plenty of detail to the shadows.

When editing the photo I decided to crop the photo down and alter the histogram. I cropped the photo to enhance the composition: by using the rule of thirds I moved the tree into the top left of the frame. By altering the histogram I lowered the highlights and the shadows, I think this made the exposure look more vintage which was the effect I was aiming for.

I’m glad that we got out for a photography wander, because I was starting to get a bit low on photographic material. I’ve now got a good stock of photos for all of you to enjoy.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment