Friday, January 18, 2013

Let It Snow!




Today Bex and I went out for a walk, but this time with a difference because overnight it had snowed! Our entire local area had been blanketed under around three inches of snow! This made everything look very different and very pretty.

For this photo I thought that if I used the flash then I could capture the reflections from the ice crystals. So I attached my flash-gun onto the top of my camera and used the bounce card to bounce the light onto the branches. I used the camera in aperture priority and took the photo with the aperture wide open to give a minimal depth of field. The camera selected a shutter speed 1/160th and ISO 400. Using this medium ISO means ensures that the noise is kept to a minimum, while allowing the use of a faster shutter speed.

To edit the photo I didn’t need to change many settings as I was mostly happy with the result from the camera. I adjusted the exposure slightly to compensate for the amount of highlights and I also increased the contrast to give the photo more punch. I also minutely changed the white balance to make sure that the snow stayed pure white.

I’m so glad that we went out in the snow today, it was frightfully cold but well worth it for the photos that we took. Both of us took a large amount of photos that I’m sure we will upload over the next few days.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment