Monday, January 21, 2013

Snowy Branches




I took a lot of photos on our wintery walk. I was experimenting with using my flashgun to darken the background while highlighting the foreground. The effect of this focuses the attention onto the subject of the photo.

One of the times I tried this was on a small, snow covered branch. For this photo I used the camera in aperture priority and selected aperture F4.5 to give a minimal depth of field. I left the flash in the evaluative metering mode so that the camera would select the most appropriate power level for the flash. I didn’t need to use a tripod because the shutter speed the camera selected was 1/160th and this was adequate for the focal length I was using.

I decided not to edit the image because I was happy with the result that I had captured in the camera. I didn’t crop the photo because I didn’t want to spoil the composition that I had made.

Unfortunately the snow is starting to melt, but I still have plenty of images of the snow that I can upload to keep the spirit alive!

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment