Sunday, January 13, 2013

Old Machinery




Unfortunately Bex and I didn’t get a chance to go out for a photography walk today; so I looked through my computer for a bit of inspiration. I looked through one of the country walks that we went on. I found an interesting photo that I thought with a bit of editing could look quite interesting.

When I took the photo I initially thought that a wide composition would look the most interesting so I focused on the machine and used a narrow aperture to ensure that the whole scene was in focus. The camera selected a shutter speed of 1/80th of a second, and as I was using a focal length of around 30mm this was more than fast enough.

When looking at the photo on my computer I had a rethink in terms of the composition. I thought that if I change the composition from a wide angle shot to a closer one, the photo may look more interesting. So the main change I made was to crop out most of the image. After this I sharpened the photo I reduced the noise a small amount. This ensured that plenty of detail was left after the heavy cropping.

I’m pleased with the effect that I created by editing the photo. It does show that you have two chances to make a good composition; either: while taking the photo, or editing the photo.

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment