Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shadow




This is another picture from my wander with the photography group last weekend- also one of my favourites! I had a list of my three favourite photos that I had taken and wanted to upload- this is the last one.

I used my close up filters to take this photo (+6), but when using flash, a shadow is cast onto the subject. This usually makes for a bit of a sloppy shot, but sometimes it can work in the photographer’s favour. In this photo I used flash and tried to include the shadow to get a gradient effect from the top of the picture to the bottom. I managed to avoid the harsh lines of the shadow by using a wide aperture; using a wide aperture with close-up filters dramatically reduces the depth of field (to about 1mm). This is why most of the edges of the petals are out of focus, but is also what makes the shadow softer.

I haven’t edited this photo apart from sharpening it to bring up details at the centre of the daisy; I liked the original lighting and colour and didn’t want this to be altered in any way. Sometimes photography is about making the best of a bad situation; you need to be able to think creatively outside of the viewfinder, in order to overcome the problems created by thinking creatively inside the viewfinder (filter shadows).

Bex
x

No comments:

Post a Comment