Sunday, January 20, 2013

Snowy Grass




While out on our walk in the snow we passed a patch of tall grass. In this I saw a single piece that was separated from the rest and I thought the composition looked interesting.

To portray the composition faithfully, I took a few test shots that I was pleased with so I adjusted the angle I took the photo until I was completely happy with the composition. I wanted the background to be blurred so I used the maximum aperture which gives a minimal depth of field. In the test shots the colours looked very flat on the grass so I used the built in flash to illuminate and provide some contrast.

To edit the photo I increased the contrast and changed the white balance; after this I cropped the image down into a portrait format. I increased the contrast because the photo looked a bit flat before. I changed the format to portrait because it focuses the attention onto just the piece of grass, effectively removing the distracting surroundings. And finally I converted the photo from RAW format to JPEG format so I can upload it to the blog.

I’ve enjoyed the snow very much this year. This is the heaviest snow that I can remember; I’ve had plenty of snowball fights over the past few days! Hopefully there is more snow to come because I spotted a few more photo opportunities and plenty of opportunities for a snowball fight!

Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment