Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Local Walk




Bex and I managed to get out for a walk today so we went to one of our favourite spots, our local duck pond. The skies were clear so a lot of birds, including many ducks, had ventured out for a quick paddle. We spent a good few hours taking photos of the various birds that were there.

As we where photographing birds I had my telephoto lens attached to my camera to capture the birds. As I was using a telephoto lens I used the camera in Tv (Shutter priority) mode to ensure that I used a fast enough shutter speed for the focal length I was using. As I was using a focal length of around 150mm and taking the crop factor into account I selected a shutter speed of 1/400th of a second. This ensured the photo would be sharp and unaffected by camera shake. I didn’t use the flash because I didn’t want to scare off the ducks.

To edit the photo, the only changes I made were to crop down the photo to focus the attention onto the two ducks, and to remove some of the distracting background as it averted attention away from the ducks. I didn’t adjust the exposure because I didn’t want the reflections on the water to become blown.

We both enjoyed our time at the duckpond, the ducks did to with all the bread that was thrown for them! I’m sure you will see some of the photos very soon.
Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment