Sunday, August 26, 2012

Floating Feather



I decided to go for a photography wander this evening, as I wanted to get some air. I walked through the local nature reserve, as it was getting dark. It had been a cloudy day, and the clouds were beginning to get darker as the evening rolled in. I had been walking for about an hour when I decided to stop and sit down by the water’s edge.

Behind me was a mini waterfall, as the lake goes down into a river; this means that if any leaves or feathers fall in, they get pulled away. I noticed feathers and leaves being sucked into the waterfall as I was sat down. I decided to stay and watch for a few minutes, and noticed this feather moving across the surface.

I must admit that a few aspects of this picture were happy accidents. I had tried taking a picture of the reflections on the water before, but it was lucky that I only got the reflections of the clouds in the picture. I used low-key gradation to try to get a more dramatic shot. Afterwards, I increased the contrast to make both the shadow and the clouds more prominent. I also increased the saturation slightly, as I lost the brown of the feather.

I have really missed taking macro shots; it’s been so busy recently that I haven’t had much chance to take pictures. I’m really pleased with how well this picture turned out, I love how it looks moody. It felt great to have a chance to get back outside for another wander- I can’t wait for the next one!

Bex
x

No comments:

Post a Comment